Märklin 37283 DB V 188
DUAL DIESEL ELECTRIC LOCOMOTIVE SET


TWO FIVE-POLE MOTORS WITH
mfx DIGITAL DECODER & SOUND EFFECTS

  

 

LIMITED ISSUE IN 2010           H0 SCALE

ERA III           MID-1960s LIVERY

Marklin 37283 DB  V 188 Diesel Electric Locomotive Set
Two 5-Pole Motors with mfx Digital Electronics & Speed Sensitive Sound Effects
LED Lights Reverse with Direction (Warm White LED Front Lights / Red LED Tail Lights)

 
INFORMATION ABOUT THE PROTOTYPE
  


KRUPP D311 / DRG V 188 DIESEL ELECTRIC LOCOS SPECIALLY
DESIGNED FOR USE WITH LARGE WORLD WAR II RAILWAY GUNS

Krupp was commissioned to build twelve pairs of special diesel electric locos for use as locomotive power for heavy railway guns immediately before and during World War II.  The locos, of which only four pairs appear to have been completed, were designated D311.01 a/b through D311.04 a/b by Krupp and V 188 by the DRG; the units that survived the war were eventually known by the DB designation of BR 288.

The D311 / V188 loco sets were used during construction of the heavy railway guns, to move the guns into place along curved tracks that were used to aim the guns, and to provide power required to load and operate the guns.  The locomotive sets had to be powerful enough to move the extremely heavy gun sets and had to operate in a combat environment (i.e., without the benefit of overhead electric power and without smoke/steam plumes that would give away camouflaged locations).


German Military Archive Photo

Krupp D311.01 a/b and D311.02 a/b with Krupp
Schwerer Gustav Railway Gun in Crimea during World War II



Krupp Archive Photo

Krupp D311.01 a/b and D311.02 a/b without DRG V 188 road numbers
(and before camouflage paint was applied)



No Artist Credit Available

World War II Krupp Railway Gun "Dora"
 

For more information about the use of the D311 / V188 for military applications as well as the Krupp "Schwerer Gustav" and "Dora" railway guns, check out the following links:

Oil-Electric Engines for the Dora

The Most Powerful Gun of All Time

Schwerer Gustav (Wikipedia)

 

The Marklin web site description of 37283 locomotive set includes the following information about the prototype:

Diesel Electric Locomotive V 188

The class V 188 double locomotives (from 1968 on: class 288) enriched the motive power roster of the German Federal Railroad as exotic diesel electric units with a remarkable past. In 1939, Krupp had a contract to build two super cannons, which were the largest artillery cannons ever built: the railroad cannons "Dora" and "Schwerer Gustav 2" ("Heavy Gustaf 2") with an 80 cm / 31-1/2" caliber and a range of up to 47 km / 29 miles. In 1941, this contract was supplemented by another, somewhat smaller cannon with the name "Langer Gustav" ("Long Gustav"). Three trains were required to bring a giant cannon with a weight of around 1,350 metric tons to its emplacement. The Germany army ordered six double locomotives with diesel electric power transmission from Krupp to haul the train and to provide electrical power for setup and use of the immense cannons. Each type D 311 locomotive unit consisted of two close-coupled halves with rigid frames and four wheel sets. Each half had a 940 hp PS starker, turbo-charged six-cylinder series motor from MAN. This unit drove a DC generator, which in turn powered the four traction motors suspended from the axles. The electrical equipment for the locomotives came from the Siemens-Schuckert plant in Berlin. Engineer's cabs were only present on the outer ends of the "Twin Locomotives". The first two double locomotives, road nos. D 311.01A/B and 02A/B, were delivered in October of 1941; two more followed in August of 1942. It was not possible to build the last two unit as well as the third cannon, since Krupp's production facilities had been largely destroyed by air attacks. The first, totally oversized cannon built, "Dora" was only used once on the front at Sevastopol and was blown up in 1945 along with its sister cannon. Three of the four double locomotives did survive the war, and two of them were overhauled at Krauss-Maffei between 1948 and 1951. The DB assigned them the road numbers V 188 001a/b (former D 311.03A/B), V 188 002a/b (former D 133.04A/B), and V 188 003a/b (former D 311.02A/B). The last unit mentioned was not overhauled but was kept a long time for spare parts. The two overhauled locomotives were initially assigned to the Aschaffenburg District and were used there for pusher service on the Spessart grade between Laufach and Heigenbrücken. Starting in 1953 they were used somewhat less successfully to haul freight trains to Schweinfurt, Bamberg, and Dillenburg. The old MAN motors increasingly caused problems. The two locomotives were therefore equipped with new 1,000 hp (later 1,100 hp) Maybach motors by 1957/58 as well as new gear drives from Gmeinder. After that they worked excellently and were used by the end of 1958 in the Aschaffenburg District, then in the Gemünden District, and from 1967/68 on in the Bamberg District in heavy freight service. After sustaining great damages the two war veterans had to be retired on September 25, 1969 (288 001) and on June 15, 1972 (288 002) as part of the general program to rationalize the motive power. Later they were scrapped.


For more information about the V 188 prototype, check out the following links:

Hans Sölch  (lots of photos and German text)

DB 288 002 Photo  (Das große Handbuch Deutscher Lokomotiven)

Maybach Traction World  (scroll to "V188"; English text)



Specializing in Märklin Trains and Toys
Post Office Box 1133 - Great Falls, Virginia 22066 USA
  How to Order from Modellbahn Collectors.